May is Dental Care Awareness Month, and we thought it would be the perfect time to bring awareness to the clinical use of ozone in dentistry. Ozone therapy has broad uses in many modalities and areas of medicine, and dentistry is no different. Ozone is a holistic dentistry approach shown to significantly reduce bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites. Generally, ozone is seen as atraumatic, painless, and minimally invasive. In addition, ozone has been shown to stop the advance of tooth decay, reduce oral inflammation of the gums, and is effectively used to treat abscesses and oral lesions. Let’s take a look at how ozone is used specifically in various areas of dental care.
- Restorative dentistry- ozone therapy is used as a prophylactic antimicrobial prior to etching, sealants, and the placement of restorations.
- Endodontics- used as an antimicrobial agent
- Hypersensitivity- ozone reduces the sensitivity of exposed enamel, dentin, and root sensitivity.
- Periodontics-ozonated water is used to treat avulsed teeth, usually for 2 minutes, as an effective mechanical and root surface decontaminant. Other studies treated plaque with ozonated water for 10 seconds and showed the therapy effectively killed gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms.
- Prosthodontics-ozone is effective in cleaning dentures of microbes and microorganisms.
- Pedodontics- ozone therapy is consistently quick, effective, easy, and painless, which improves patient compliance and tolerance of procedures.
- Orthodontics- ozonated olive oil gel has been used to reduce enamel demineralization around orthodontic brackets. When the same gel is used in conjunction with other oral care, there was significantly less decalcification of teeth among other orthodontic patients.
- Surgeries- ozone therapy enhances healing in oral surgeries and facilitates oxygen in oral tissues, causing vasodilation, therefore improving blood supply in ischemic zones. In addition, ozone therapy improves overall pain for oral surgery patients.
- At home use of an ozonated toothpaste product is an easy way to receive the benefits of ozone daily. To order go to https://www.
gemstateholistichealth.com/ news/#:~:text=https%3A//www. ozolabs.com/products/ toothpaste%2D2%2D5%2Dfl%2Doz% 2D100cc/
Dr. Dennis Harper spoke at the American Academy of Ozonotherapy Annual Meeting, June 2-4, in Denver. In addition to Dr. Harper, several dentists spoke further in detail about the research and clinical uses of ozone therapy within dentistry practices. What we touched on today is impressive, but the full scope of how ozone therapies are utilized is vast and complex. If you would like to join Dr. Harper and other ozonotherapy practitioners at the AAO Annual Meeting, click here for more information.
How Can Gem State Holistic Health Clinic Help You?
Gem State Holistic Health Clinic’s Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive news about health & nutrition. Dennis Harper, DC, and Joshua Morris, MD offer their expertise in the articles.
In addition to our newsletter, we also offer virtual consultation options, or you can come on down to our Orofino healthcare office for an in-person consultation and exam!
Gem State Holistic Health is happy to help you with all your alternative health care needs. Your age shouldn’t define who you are. Allow us to help you live your best life with our Pain Elimination Paradigm!!
Have more questions or looking for answers?
Call today (208-476-3158) to book an appointment with Dennis Harper, DC or Joshua Morris, MD at Gem State Holistic Health in Orofino Idaho!